Friday, February 25, 2011

Goodbye, Satellite TV

We live in an older, rural neighborhood where cable providers have not pulled in lines for cable service, and as a result we were limited to satellite TV.  Our bill was around $170 a month for a DVR and two additional basic boxes for the bedrooms. But you know the routine. . . Despite the hundreds of channels available, we were pretty much limited to watching a handful of channels. My husband likes watching movies, I like cooking and decorating shows, and we both are news junkies.  The TV is on in the morning when he is getting ready for work, but stays off until he gets home. I listen to talk radio most of the day as I am working about the house.  TV was getting just too expensive, not only because of the cost, but also because we just don't watch that much TV to make it worthwhile to pay that much.

We have decided to pull the plug and subscribe to Netflix and Hulu instead.   Netflix for the movies and Hulu for TV shows.  The cost for both services will be less than $20 a month plus the one time cost of the "Roku" box of about $80. If something is not available, that's just too bad.  Though I will miss the Fox News Network, the impact will be nominal, because I already get most of my news from the radio and the internet anyway. 

It is a win win situation as far as I'm concerned. We will be saving quite a large sum of our money, and it will give me more time to read, which I love to do.  We'll see how it goes. . .  I really doubt if we will ever get cable or satellite service again. . .

2 comments:

  1. Hi - Do you have real butchers? where they get a whole animal and sell all of it? suet is the hard fat around tke kidneys of a cow, it is like rubber but flaky and it's grated, it stores almost indefinitely - it's very cheap here and although old fashioned because 'fat is bad' you can still buy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Unfortunately, real butchers are a dying breed and hard to find. I guess I'lll have to track one down and see if they have it. I have a feeling they probably have it in an upscale supermarket closer to downtown where they sell all manners of imported items. It will be one of those cases where what used to be cheap is now considered a luxury item and therefore expensive. Go figure. . .

    ReplyDelete