Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stocking up on Thanksgiving turkey

Turkeys go on sale every year at this time of the year. For the last few years, I have been stocking up on them to use throughout the rest of the year.  So far, I have purchased 5 ( ! ) turkeys at 39 cents per pound. I purchase the smaller ones that weigh in around 11-12 pounds at most (big enough for 2-3 meals for our family of 4). I usually cook one up about every other month, and used up the last one about a month ago. Pound for pound, turkeys are a better value than chicken, and if you have room in your freezer, are definitely worth stocking up on.  Since I still have plenty of room in our new (used) freezer, I may purchase a couple more. . .

Same principle applies to other grocery items.  I stock up on pantry items when they go on sale as loss leaders at the grocery stores, and try to buy as much as I think I will use up in a year.  You pay rock bottom prices and save big bucks. BUT, only buy items you actually use.  I just stocked up on hot chocolate for my sons at 50 cents per box of 10 drinks. That comes out to a nickle a drink for some tasty winter treats that I know they will appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment