Monday, April 18, 2011

What Else I've Been Up To. . .

I wrote about our bathroom before and promised that I will show you the vanity area sometime. . . I'm not ready to show you just yet, but here's a teaser of what I've been up to to finish it off.

The reason I was not ready was because I've been on a hunt for a mirror to hang over the vanity. We've been making do with a small mirror until I found the right one for the right price, meaning a great mirror for a very cheap price. I had no luck at the thrift stores at all, and I was to the point of succumbing to full retail (well, to a point). About a month ago, I spotted this diamond in the rough hiding behind a gaudy painting:


It had good bones, but its' previous owner had tried to do a shabby chic number on it, without success.  The paint job was dingy, dirty, and downright ugly. Actually, I think it was gesso and not paint, and it was splotchy and noticeably built up over some spots.  But hey, it was only $9.99! So I brought it home, and it sat in the corner of the bathroom until I finally got off my tush and went at it:


Here, I masked off the edge close to the frame and covered the rest with masking paper I had left over when we painted the house before we moved in.  Can you see the bad distressing job on the edges? It was waaaaaay overdone and really ugly.


Lastly, here it is after several coats of satin black spray paint.  I pondered whether to attempt distressing it again, but decided against it.  I think it will eventually acquire the requisite patina as I used it over the years.  The satin finish is very understated and makes the mirror look a lot more expensive than it was. 

I'll post a photo of the bathroom soon, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment