Thursday, April 28, 2011

Children are not Frugal



These are trying times. . . I have one son (17) on the verge of manhood. Yet, he starts CRAP with the younger one (15), who is going through some tough times, hormonally speaking.  Sometimes (often), I wonder why on earth my husband and I wanted kids in the first place.  Ever get that feeling?  But as with my younger son right now, hormones does a crazy number to yourself and your sanity, or lack thereof. I know way back when, when I was praying for children, it was the ticking time bomb doing all the thinking and feeling.  Had my hormones been under control, I wonder if I would have had kids?  Probably not.

But I guess that's how nature intended it.  If it weren't for the unexplainable urge to procreate the next generation, would humanity even exist?  Of course not!  I remember when I was pregnant with the first one, and I was scheduled for a C-section, the doctor asked me if I wanted to have my tubes tied because it would only have taken a couple of extra minutes of his time.  Did I say, "yes"? Of course not!  In the last stages of pregnancy, one is still not sane, because you are way deep in the midst of "procreate and nurture" mode.  What sort of question is THAT? "Do you want to sterilize yourself?" Sheesh!  Insanity, I tell ya!  Insanity on my part, that is.

Instead, we had two kids.  Private schools, sport activities, birthday parties, etc., etc.  If we did not have kids, my husband and I would be filthy rich by now! Just imagine the ROI on the money we could have invested in the stock market! We would be millionaires many times over!  <sigh>  But like most people, we're not.  And that's OK.  We're OK with the fact that our retirement will not be as rich and varied as Donald Trump's or Warren Buffet's will likely be.  As long as the boys grow up into men who care for each other and will be there for the other if one of them is hurting or is in trouble after we are gone.  I know time will change and improve things between them.  I have no doubt.

BUT.  If you are still childless and mulling the concept of procreating, think long and hard.  Run for the hills!  Children are not frugal.  No, not at all.

2 comments:

  1. O my gosh! What kind of doctor asks a question like that? Is it even legal? I can't imagine in a million years any doctor here in the UK asking a first-time mum something like that (something to do with medical ethics maybe?). Unbelievable! I would say that if doctors are allowed to ask that kind of question when you're just about to give birth it's a pretty good reason to have your husband in the delivery room....who knows what someone with pregnancy brain might say?!

    Love your blog btw!

    K xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with keshling. No doctor should ask such question..not even in Malaysia. Normally, mom will raise the request instead. Yes, kids are not frugal... I do teach them about it but I still spend plenty on them! Frugal mom can stand not giving herself a treat for years but not with the kids, not even a day! Love you, PC

    ReplyDelete